Packet loss & high latency /w Intel puma 6 cable modem.

All around i2pd - a different implementation of the I2P protocol
Endre

Packet loss & high latency /w Intel puma 6 cable modem.

Post by Endre »

I have a thirty eight megabit upload. Through out the day the routers upload speed does not go past twenty four megabit. Yet packet loss occurs. The router seems to be under utilized.
My ISP mandated cable modem that I can't change comes with an Intel puma six CPU, which I think causes packet loss and high latency when the number of connections/flows goes past two thousand.

Is there anything I can configure to remedy packet loss on my WAN connection when I run i2p. I have tried limiting the transit tunnels option to a hundred. I guess that will limit speeds?
Attachments
Routerstats.PNG
Routerstats.PNG (8.77 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
Routerlatency.PNG
Routerlatency.PNG (56.25 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
Extlatency.jpg
Extlatency.jpg (178.21 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
i2pdude

Re: Packet loss & high latency /w Intel puma 6 cable modem.

Post by i2pdude »

Several websites recommend to totally avoid your chipset. Of course it can help to take load off a buggy chipset. Less tunnels mean less traffic and less connections. Especially for TCP connections any router device has a limit for the total number of concurrent connections from your local network to the internet (limits for devices I used were around 700, 2200 and 10000).

i2pd has no direct way of limiting TCP connections or expiring idle conns. Besides reducing transit tunnels you could disable I2P tunnels that you do not use like IRC, SOCKS or HTTP and reduce exploratory tunnels.